Wednesday, December 3, 2014

I Don't Remember.........

I am feeling sad and depressed as I watch the verdict come in in New York....

I know that it has been a long time since I raised my kids and I know I have forgotten a lot and I know that technology has changed the world!

But here it is.....everything that I can remember that I did not teach my kids...
I don't remember teaching my kids not to wear hoodies that cover their faces as it may cause someone to think they are trouble makers!

I don't remember teaching my kids not to wear jeans and a white tee shirt and run through a crowded area as people will think that they have stolen something!

I don't remember teaching my kids that when life seems hopeless and you are depressed that you may be tempted to do something violent!

I don't remember teaching my kids that they will be stopped by the police while walking down the street minding their own business!

I don't remember teaching my kids that they will be stopped by the police and that they may even be taken to jail because of their color!

I don't remember teaching my kids that if you do something wrong that the police can shoot you dead even though you are not armed

Of course, I don't remember teaching my kids any of these things....I did not have to...because I am white!

How sad that young black men are treated like animals and the police forget that they have rights...the right to be innocent until proven guilty....12 shots into the unarmed Michael Brown and it was not disclosed until the verdict was read. The choking  of Eric Garner  right before our very eyes...how many eyes turned away because he was black?



About 20 years ago I took some tests to work in a military academy in Kansas.  The Priest who was testing me said this..."this test was an empathy test, you are the first person I have ever given this to who scored 100%!"  This is who I am !  I believe that if each and everyone of us could live a few days as a young black male that maybe we would not be so eager to focus on the rioting and focus directly on the real issue...unarmed people, regardless of their color should not be killed by police!  Open your eyes and stop blaming the victims!

S'

No comments:

Post a Comment